Friday, April 3, 2009

Wanna be Starting Something...

What motivates you…

I’ll admit I’m an exercise addict. I’ve been getting up at 4 AM to work out for as long as I can remember. But ask me to clean my house or organize my files and I want to retreat to my bed and hide under the covers. So for me to conquer the laundry or quit procrastinating about writing a new story, I ask :
“In the past, how have I motivated myself to do the things I enjoy?”
“What is distracting me from doing what I need to do?”
“How can I use this to motivate me to do what I don’t think I’ll enjoy?”
Motivation and performance work together. So where do you start…? Motivation begins with establishing the direction you want to follow. To start this:
Set some goals (or basically, think about what you want to do)
Figure out one or two reasons to start exercising or “pump up” what you are already doing. Once you identify a benefit or two, decide if they are realistic. These could be as simple as being able to walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded or finally buttoning your jeans. You might want to walk or run in an upcoming race or increase your bone density to avoid osteoporosis. Set a goal that’s achievable in the short term at first. Achieving even a small goal more quickly can motivate you to keep on working toward your larger, more difficult goals. You need to take small steps to where you’re headed or you’ll just go in circles.
Lower Your Expectations
I know you’re saying, “What? How is lowering my expectations going to push me?” Oftentimes, when we expect too much of ourselves, it only undermines our motivation. Sometimes it even keeps us from starting to exercise. Go back to your goals (reasons) and keep your focus on the small achievements. Sometimes what we think we want and what we think others expect of us is so big that it creates too much pressure. We also need to gauge how we are feeling when we start and again, be realistic about what we think we need to achieve.
Think about what you really enjoy
It‘s very easy to motivate ourselves when the workouts we are doing are enjoyable. However, we can also find ways to motivate ourselves in activities that are a necessary part of our fitness program, but not as much “fun”. Sometimes getting a friend, spouse, or even a trainer can help you “gripe” your way through the difficult elements of your workout. Whether it’s a pat on the back or someone to complain to, having a “partner in crime” can help pull you through the tough days when you want to give up.
Control your surroundings
Be aware of the types of things that keep you from what you want to achieve. Whether you are working out at home or in a gym, try to keep yourself free from distractions that can sidetrack your workout. Set aside specific time for your home workout and turn off your phone. Don’t try and do housework between exercises and focus on your workout plan. In the gym, limit the conversation time( Just a sidenote here. I received quite a few comments from people who know me well about limiting conversation in the gym. OK, so I am working on focusing more and talking less. It's advice I want to pass on to others!!!) and don’t leave until you have completed your planned workout. (See…”A Man (Woman) with a Plan…”)
Reward Yourself
Setting realistic goals should result in a pay off. Sure, the biggest reward is that you’ll feel better and look better, but rewarding yourself for achieving something you have set out to do is an important part of planning. Encourage yourself - small changes are OK. Keep a record of what you are achieving. Seeing how far you have come can be a factor on its own in increasing motivation. Do a timetable for yourself and give yourself a small reward at each milestone. New workout clothes, new music, flowers, a pedicure; anything that makes you feel good and doesn’t add extra calories that would blow all the hard work you’ve put in!

No comments:

Post a Comment