Friday, January 22, 2010

"I Like Bread and Butter...


When I go to diet heaven, I will sit at a table filled with dark rye, foccacia, cibbata, sourdough, biscuits and lavosh complemented by flavored oils and fresh sweet cream butter, eating my fill of all. But, until the day that white flour, heavy cream, and lard can actually help me lose and maintain my weight, it’s not gonna happen! So, to satisfy my doughy addiction, I’ve found a few substitutes that do the trick and keep me from succumbing to a breadbasket binge!
One of my recent discoveries is a product called Arnold’s Select Sandwich Thins, or Flats. Turkey sandwiches, burgers, even sliced veggies are perfect on this little gem. The concept is genius, yet simple. Basically, they took half of a bun and sliced it into two halves! We feel like we’re getting the whole thing because we can open it into two slices, but it’s still only around half the calories. They come in whole grain white, wheat, and multi–grain flavors, and at only 100 calories, 1g of fat, and 22g carb, they pack 5g of fiber and 4g of protein. (AND they taste really good!)
But even before the Thins came on the market, I was indulging my fix with the perfect accompaniment to any filling, the English muffin; specifically Thomas’s. At 120 calories for a whole muffin, I used to cover a half with chopped tomatoes or marinara, basil, and shredded mozzarella for a faux pizza that made an appetizing 100 calorie snack. I like the taste of the new 100 calorie muffins with 1g fat, 24g carb, 5g fiber and 4g protein and the light, multi-grain variety with the same calories, fat and carbs, but 8g fiber and 6g protein. The original is slightly higher in calories (120) and carbs (25), but still a good option when you just have to have the comforting smell of baking bread (even if it is only in your toaster oven).
As far as I’m concerned, pretty much any food tastes good wrapped in a tortilla. Unfortunately, many of the packaged wraps and tortillas are high in calories, carbs, and fat, with some even made with lard. Consequently, while the fillings I ate were good for me, the “wrapping” negated the healthful benefits. So when I read about La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortilla wraps (50 calories, 10g carb, 0g fat, 6g fiber and 5g protein) on HungryGirl.com, I had to try them. From scrambled egg white wraps with vegetables, to turkey and avocado lunches, they satisfy and actually enhance my healthful habits. I’ve also used them as a substitute in recipes from chicken enchiladas to lasagna. I substituted the garlic and herb tortillas for the noodles and layered the ground turkey, sauce and low fat cheese. Even my family liked the results.
You can even log on to each company’s website for nutritional information and recipe ideas.
http://arnold.bimbobakeriesusa.com/
http://www.latortillafactory.com
http://thomas.gwbakeries.com/
So, although you need to say no to the breadbasket on your table (at home or in a restaurant), you can still indulge your taste for dense, chewy bites and not sabotage your weight loss and fitness goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment