Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"Everyday People..."


Ok. I’ll admit it. I sign on to Facebook pretty much every day. I say it’s because I’m posting a fitness tip on my Fitness Barista page, and that’s true, but I also like to see what other people are saying. And therein lies the problem.

In his post in The Harvard Business Review blog, “Facebook is Making Us Miserable”, Daniel Gulati says that Facebook is one of the “major contributors to career anxiety, and it’s creating a den of comparison. Since our Facebook profiles are self-curated, (we) have a strong bias toward sharing positive milestones and avoid mentioning the more humdrum, negative parts of (our) lives.”

So it got me thinking. Not only is it creating career anxiety, but maybe “workout anxiety” too.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m the first one to cheer on a friend or client when they have a successful workout or healthy eating week! I love hearing what people can accomplish when they persevere and work hard toward their goals. However, sometimes I feel like I’ll never be able to do what everyone on Facebook says they do.



I read real posts like:
“Just ran 22 miles in the snow. Trying for 25 tomorrow.”

“8th day of my all-juice cleanse. Lost 11 pounds so far and stomach is now completely flat.”

“2 body pump classes, and then off to yoga and Pilates!”

“Burned 950 calories in just 1 spinning class!”

And reading them just intimidates me. I mean, I went to the gym. I worked out. I felt great. But then I got on Facebook, and now I feel bad because I didn’t do as much as everyone else!

Like Gulati says, we serve up our best selves on Facebook and I guess, why not! Nobody deliberately puts a terrible photo of themselves on their Facebook page, so why would they let you know when they don’t accomplish their goals?

So, along with the calories burned, marathons run, and pounds lost, it’s also ok to brag if you:

“Tried to run at a 6.5 on the treadmill, but had to bring it down to a 4!”

“Did one set of heavy leg presses and then three sets of light weight”

“Ate mostly fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grain, but went to Ted Drewe’s for custard (or Graeter’s or Baskin Robbins)”

“Haven’t had chocolate chip cookies for 3 days!”

And even “Was going to go to the gym, but it was raining and I was tired! (But, I’m going tomorrow)”



Let others’ accomplishments inspire you, but realize that you’re only seeing part of the picture. Celebrate even the little victories and quit comparing them to everyone else’s! Unless you’re in a race or competing in a sport, your fitness is really about YOUR personal best!

1 comment:

  1. This is so true! I try not to read too much into what others are up to and just keep up with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete