Tuesday, December 29, 2015

"Blue (Apron) is the New Black..."

My Spinach and Butternut Squash Pizza
Cooking is something that I am learning to enjoy. However, I like to get things done quickly, so I’m impatient with recipes that require any more work than grilling or roasting. I also tend to stick with salt and pepper and one or two “go to” herbs for seasoning. Rarely do I go outside of my comfort zone any time besides a holiday meal.

When I started reading about some of the subscription meal prep delivery companies, I was curious. Was it worth the money? Would I be able to make the recipes? Would I like the food?  I finally settled on Blue Apron, and tried some of their meals last week.

According to a 2014 article in Forbes Magazine, Blue Apron was founded in 2012 by Matt Salzberg, a Harvard M.B.A. with venture capital experience, and Ilia Papas, an engineer and former consultant, and chef Matt Wadiak. The company creates meal kits: precisely portioned ingredients and specific instructions needed to cook exactly three dinners a week and sold on a subscription basis.

Portioned ingredients
Blue Apron’s approach, the meal kit, offers the convenience of delivery while keeping home cooks in the kitchen. The precisely portioned dinners minimize waste and allow consumers to try ingredients they might not otherwise buy, at a price they can afford–about $10 per meal per person.

Originally named Part & Parsley, Chef Wadiak insisted that the new name be based on the traditional garb worn by French chefs in training: blue aprons.  He wants home cooks to learn new techniques and get comfortable with “different cultivars.”

I tried two recipe kits that served four people, and one kit that served two. (The kit for two, Asian Cod, belonged to my daughter who does NOT like fish). They contained all the ingredients needed to cook the meals, complete with recipes and step-by-step photos.

The meals came neatly packaged in a cardboard box lined with ice packs to keep the contents fresh for a few hours. The meats, fish and chicken were vacuum-sealed, which gave me an extra week or two to use them, just in case I couldn’t be home to cook one of the nights.

Each recipe was well explained and included all ingredients needed, so making dinner was almost as easy as ordering carry-out, without the guilt.
The photos included with the recipes showed the major steps in the process with instructions below the picture of how to prep and cook all the ingredients.


They post the upcoming two week's menus on the site, so you have the opportunity to make sure the menu looks good before ordering. Nutritionally balanced, each meal comes out to around 650-700 calories per person. In a restaurant, you have no idea how much oil, butter, salt or other secret calories are going into your meal, so you definitely have more control.

Although Blue Apron is a subscription service, you can opt out of any week or skip a few weeks depending on your food preferences or eating plans.

And even if you don’t order one week, the recipes are free to anyone browsing Blue Apron's website and aren't restricted to paying customers. So you could potentially pick up the necessary ingredients at your grocery store (But that kind of defeats the purpose of having everything you need right at your fingertips).

So my take on the meal kits:

Packaging: I’m obsessed with food freshness and tend to buy the food I’m going to cook that same day, so I was a little wary of the “packaged” produce and proteins, but I was pleasantly surprised. The kale and spinach were bagged, but still tasted delicious. The herbs were plentiful and free of any spots. Vacuum sealing the proteins made them taste like I had just purchased them at the store and the quality of the cheeses, and condiments was superb.

Variety: You can list your preferences and dislikes when you sign up, so they won’t send you something you are allergic to or don’t eat. But, there are six choices for three meals and I don’t think you can pick the exact ones you want delivered.
The ingredient variety was outstanding though. I used spices, marinades, herbs and veggies that I haven’t cooked with or tried before. Tamarind on the cod, jasmine rice, kale in a casserole and squash and spinach on a pizza; I never would have considered those combinations.
Cod with tamarind over jasmine rice


Convenience: Delivered to my front door, everything I needed, and exact instructions. What could be better?

Taste: Ok, this is the most important and the meals didn’t disappoint. Blue Apron uses high quality ingredients and the flavor combinations are outstanding. I never would have thought to mix honey, ricotta cheese and black pepper and dollop it onto a hot pizza, but the flavor was incredible.
Lime zest in jasmine rice, freshly grated white cheddar and Amish chicken in a casserole. Yum!!
It’s really like going to a new trendy restaurant in your own kitchen.

Chicken and Kale Casserole with White Cheddar 
Will I subscribe to the meals? I’m pretty sure I will try a week of meals from time to time. I’d be more likely to subscribe if I could choose the exact meals I wanted delivered from the week’s menu.
If you are looking to cook more at home in the new year, or, like my friend Sarah, who cooks like Martha Stewart, but is tired of planning and shopping for meals. Or, just looking for more interesting ingredients,  check out their website, www.blueapron.com  for information and sign up for their emails to get the weekly recipes and delivery choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment