Thursday, June 25, 2009

Not Just For Breakfast

I’ve never been a big fan of protein shakes. I think it’s because I’d rather eat my calories than drink them. And while protein bars are a good way to supplement protein intake, I’m working on trying to eat fewer processed and packaged foods. So when I saw the recipe for Oatmeal Protein Pancakes in a fitness magazine, I was eager to try them.
I bought the ingredients that I didn’t have on hand (including vanilla protein powder) and decided to make a large batch so I could freeze the extras and warm them quickly in the microwave. However, my first attempt kind of bombed. I mixed the steel-cut oatmeal with the other ingredients, but it kind of sat in a lump in the pan while the watery mixture oozed away from the oats. Flipping the pancakes was impossible and I ended up with more of a protein “hash”. Still, it tasted yummy, so I went to my friend Sarah who is a true “maven” (Yiddish for expert) in all things cooking related. She tried it and, of course, her pancakes were perfect. However, she WAS able to figure out what had gone wrong with my recipe (besides the cook!) and tweak the original for great results. So add these tasty pancakes to your repertoire. Loaded with protein, they make breakfast both delicious and wholesome.

Oatmeal Protein Pancakes
(from Muscle & Fitness Hers-May/June issue 2009)

1 cup plus 2 T oatmeal
2/3 cup plain or vanilla protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3 egg whites
1 cup Fat-free milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
Nonstick cooking spray

1. Put oatmeal in blender or processer and grind to a flour-like consistency (this is the change that Sarah made and the pancakes were perfect once I ground the oatmeal)
2. Mix ground oatmeal, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Add egg whites, milk, applesauce and vanilla and blend well.
3. Preheat large skillet (or griddle) over medium to high heat and coat with cooking spray. Pour batter into skillet,1/4 cup at a time.
4. Turn pancakes when bubbles form and cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with low sugar syrup and/or fresh fruit.
Serves 4 (per serving-211 calories, 33g protein,15g carbs, 2g fat, 1.5g fiber, 7g sugar)

Sarah also suggested pureeing berries to which I added Truvia to use as a topping or you could top with the extra applesauce or fresh whole berries. Your trainer will be so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment