Thursday, June 25, 2009

Get Out of Town...


I get emails and articles all the time from fitness experts who recommend working out in your hotel room when you travel. Numerous TV spots and newspaper blurbs tout the benefits of an in-room workout with routines like lifting a pillow over your head and to your knees or tying a towel to the door jam and lunging while you pull. Since I’d be more than likely to knock over furniture or pull off the door handle, these suggestions would likely put a damper on my exercise energy and motivation. Don’t get me wrong, I like to stay fit when I travel; I’d just rather find a better alternative.
So, first and foremost, I do my homework. Before I even book a room, I try to make sure there’s a gym either in the hotel or within close proximity. Hotel gyms have gotten a bad rap over the years and rightly so, but most major hotel chains have recently succumbed to the fitness boom and now provide, if not state of the art, at least decent enough equipment for a 2 or 3 day workout. If that’s not enough for you, ask the hotel if there is a fitness facility nearby. Most places will partner with the hotels and let you work out there during your stay either for free or for a nominal fee.
Another option is the hotel pool. If you work out early or late in the day, chances are you will have the pool to yourself, free of family vacationers and splashing kids. You can swim laps even in a small pool or use the water’s resistance for water walking or running.
If you find yourself in a big city, use your workout time to explore the area. Most hotels in larger cities have maps of the local area with running and walking routes and trails marked off. Runner’s World magazine features maps of different cities and the best places to run/walk in each issue. You can also go to http://www.runnersworld.com/ and click on “Where to Run” to find information about particular cities. Or, just trek the area surrounding your hotel. You might see a great coffee shop nearby or a great pair of sandals in a shoe store window! On sale! (You probably would never have found them otherwise). Just make sure you know how to get back. I once started a walk from my hotel in Manhattan forgetting to check which street the hotel was on. After walking in circles for at least an hour, I finally recognized the hotel’s marquee from a few blocks down. Good exercise, but a little scary. Most cell phones now have a GPS feature that can get you back where you belong, but back then I did discover a great diner called Big Daddy’s where we ended up for breakfast!
So, next time you travel, plan ahead for fitness just like you plan your activities and dinner reservations. Take advantage of new surroundings and discover what they have to offer!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! These days i only go to hotels that have a fitness center and I check it out online beforehand. Most of them have been upgraded with all the latest equipment. I take note of the ones I like best (Westin, Sheraton, etc.) and make it point to stick with those chains whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete