Monday, August 31, 2009

Good Vibrations...


This time of year can be particularly stressful for all of us in one way or another. Transitioning into a new school year wreaks havoc on even the most laid back child or parent. As the summer drifts away, we realize we’ve got a lot ahead in the coming months; be it work, school, holiday gatherings or end of year quotas to meet. With the precarious economy and unknowns in the workplace, we could spend our entire day worrying about what’s to come. Being a professional worrier, it’s particularly hard on me. Over the years I’ve looked for ways to calm the anxiety from meditation to medication, but I’ve found my best results through exercise.
As I was growing up, my mom believed that exercise was the key to life; even back in the 1960s. If something was bothering you, just go for a walk. According to her, it solved everything. Even when my dad became ill she still took him on a long walk daily. He was able to overcome some symptoms for a time, but more than anything, I think the walks help my mother cope with his illness.
It took me a while to follow her example, but I coped with the stress of my first teaching jobs by taking aerobic dance classes, and even went into labor with my first child during a class. The anxiety of being a new mom was lessened as I walked for miles, pushing my children in the stroller, and pumping up my heart rate.
According to The American Council on Exercise, exercise provides an outlet for negative emotions such as frustration, anger and irritability, and promotes a more positive mood and outlook. Our mood is improved by the production of positive biochemical changes in the body and brain. Regular exercise also reduces the amount of adrenal hormones your body releases in response to stress, decreasing the stress hormones such as cortisol and increasing endorphins. Endorphins are the body’s natural feel good chemicals, and when they are released through exercise, your mood is boosted naturally.
Over the years, spending time lifting weights or on a cardio machine at the gym, going on a walk, or taking a fitness class has helped me cope with the stress of moving to a new city, job changes, and trying to be a “supermom” (Sorry, there’s no such creature!!). In a way, working out has been a selfish act. It’s MY time to focus on my reps, my miles, my heart rate, my progress and forget about whatever is gnawing away at my nerves. It’s still there when I’m done, but I’ve had some time to clear my head and it never seems as difficult to deal with after I’ve exercised.
And unlike the weight loss, body shaping and physical health benefits of exercise, it doesn’t take long to reap the emotional benefits. Even 20-30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise can kick up your mood. A leisurely walk may activate a couple endorphins and let you forget your worries for a bit, but an intense run or aerobics or spinning class could make your day.
I’ll admit it. Mom was right. Exercise is the best medicine for coping with stress. So make and take the time to get your heart rate and your mood elevated. The payoff will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment