Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Change is Gonna Come...



Some of us are born procrastinators. I realize this every time I see a load of laundry still sitting in the basket, a pile of receipts to enter in my checkbook and half-written articles that I’ll “get to” tomorrow. It’s November 4th and my last post was written on September 30th. Have I been really busy? Well, kind of. But too busy to sit down for an hour and post an entry? I don’t think so! We procrastinators tell lies to ourselves like, "I'll feel more like doing this tomorrow." We avoid failure or even success by simply NOT doing something. We procrastinators would rather have others think we lack effort than ability. It sounds less malignant.

I can see how my procrastination is affecting all areas of my life, even (Omigod, say it isn’t so!), my workouts! So I’m starting to see what’s behind the excuses people make to dodge working out. Talking about exercising, but not making a decision to actually do it absolves the procrastinators of responsibility for the outcome of events. Exercise takes commitment and procrastinators actively look for distractions, particularly ones that don't take a lot of dedication on their part.
Sometimes, we need to just get ourselves motivated enough to simply start working out. Sometimes we need to shake up a complacent attitude toward our current workouts.
Whatever the case, there are a few things you can do to set in motion what you’ve been avoiding:
Change The Environment- If you normally work out at home, join a gym (or vice versa). If you’ve been logging miles on cardio machines, get outside and burn some calories in a different way. Take a fitness class or classes that you’ve never tried before (I normally love a fast pace, but ended up loving a Pilates class I took on a whim). If you always walk the same sidewalk route in your neighborhood, walk a different way or drive to a park and hike the trails for new terrain and view.

Change The Routine- I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “There is always a new exercise to try!” It may be a variation of something you’ve done before, but it can challenge your muscles in a unique way. Only doing cardio can burn some calories, but adding weight training shapes your body and works you in different ways. If you’ve done the same bicep and tricep routine religiously for the past 12 months, changing the angle of a curl or using dumbbells or cables instead of a Nautilus machine can produce dramatic results. Plus, it gets you motivated to work at something new and interesting. If you don’t have a notebook full of exercises, consult a trainer or flip through some fitness magazines for a new routine. (I recommend Oxygen, Muscle and Fitness, Muscle and Fitness for Women, Fitness Rx and Men’s Health/Women’s Health for monthly ideas.

Change Your Look- Some people wear the same oversized t-shirt and shorts (leggings, sweat pants, you fill in the blank) day after day to work out, and keep their workout shoes until there’s no tread left on the bottom. They rationalize their attire by saying “I don’t care how I look; I’m just here to sweat” which is fine, but it gets boring. A new workout shirt that actually fits can help you see what you need to work on, and best of all, your progress!!! The new materials used in workout clothes keep the sweat away from your body so you’re not alternately sweating and freezing in the gym. Adding some new workout gloves, an armband for your IPOD, or even better socks can make even the toughest workouts a little more effortless.

Whatever you decide, just get out there and do it. If your plan is working for you, keep at it. If not, quit procrastinating and make some changes. Whether it’s big bucks for personal training or $5.99 for a fitness magazine, don’t wait!

1 comment:

  1. First time reader of Harriette's blog but I can attest to what she said. I just started working out with her since I needed the motivation from someone else to jump start me to exercise. It's working!!!! [No surprise I am sure to the rest of you]

    ReplyDelete