Saturday, March 6, 2010

Feelin' Groovy...


In all the years I’ve been working out, I’ve gone through an evolution in workout wear. From baggy t-shirts and leggings to leotards and tights to Lycra tops and pants, I like working out in clothes that feel good. I also reasoned, “I’m just sweating, so why do I need to buy ‘good’ outfits?” So, for years I have scoured the active wear aisles of many a TJ Maxx, Marshall’s and Macy’s (with my 15% off coupon, of course), in search of comfy, cute and long-lasting gear. Never mind that I spend a good portion of my day in these togs, from the gym to grocery, or that I regularly throw out pieces that have too quickly lost their luster. But I was in denial. I refused to admit that I deserved better.
I’d heard about lululemon from friends in other parts of the country. My son’s girlfriend in Chicago told me how much she loved the clothes; how well they fit and how long they lasted, but I still didn’t get it. Then, during a family visit to Chicago, they took me into the store. It was like an intervention! I saw the clothes, tried them on, loved the feel, loved the fit and loved the concept. “You deserve this,” they said, and I agreed. I got my first pair of Groove pants (one of their best pieces) and never looked back. But it’s not just the great clothing that got me; it’s the company’s philosophy that’s equally cool.
lululemon athletica stores have been open since 2000. At the time, cotton was the fabric for most yoga clothing and company founder Chip Wilson, whose passion was technical athletic fabrics, started a design studio. To pay rent, they had yoga classes at night. They sold Chip’s clothing and rated the fabric performance based on feedback from yoga instructors. They now use fabrics that are all moisture wicking. They keep you cooler during your workout and warmer afterwards.
According to their web site, “The idea was to have the store be a community hub where people could learn and discuss the physical aspects of healthy living from yoga and diet to running and cycling as well as the mental aspects of living a powerful life of possibilities.” This philosophy continues in all of their stores with locations worldwide. The company manifesto (which is also printed on their awesome bags) encourages actions like:

“A daily hit of athletic-induced endorphins gives you the power to make better decisions, helps you be at peace with yourself, and offsets stress.”

“Do one thing a day that scares you.”

“SWEAT once a day to regenerate your skin.”


The stores combine the retail sales of their clothing with community run clubs, hip hop, boot camp and aerobic classes and free yoga classes on Saturday mornings.
My daughter was hooked too. After the educator (they are not called salespeople) brought her the signature “Ta Ta Tamer” (so named because it really does “tame” them), and then had her jump rope in the dressing room to see the benefits, she was a believer. Other stores let you jump on mini-trampolines, but both let you see first-hand how well it works.
When we returned to St. Louis, we found the lululemon store in the Central West End and my daughter started going to the Saturday yoga classes. Now we are all Facebook friends with the store and I’ve gone to the yoga classes, too. A relaxing class and shopping at the same time? It’s heaven! They even have great stuff for guys. (I want to steal the Pacific Beach Hoodie from my son) My husband knows exactly what to buy me for birthdays and special occasions. (I love my Valentine's Day gift!) And, you can call me shallow if you want, but what I really love is the fact that my butt actually looks good in their pants!!!
www.lululemon.com

1 comment:

  1. Harriette, you're a wonder! I love the blog! Your writing is so entertaining I'm glad you're getting a large audience. (at least I hope you're getting a large audience). The TaTa Tamer sounds like it's worth looking into. You sound and look wonderful. I can't believe that David has a girlfriend and Lauren is grown up, too. I'm looking forward to reading more of your musings. Denise

    ReplyDelete