Thursday, August 19, 2010

Soak Up The Sun...


When you work out a lot, muscle soreness is a given. Over the years, I’ve learned to tell the difference between DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), which occurs 24-72 hours after working a muscle, and pain from an injury. But recently, I’d been sore most of the time and a lot more tired after a workout. I chocked it up to getting older, but when I mentioned it to my doctor at a recent physical exam, he tested my vitamin D levels and found that I was deficient (well below 40).

Up until then, I wasn’t aware of all the problems a vitamin D deficiency could cause. Years ago, I wasn’t too worried about things like that. Apparently, D is the only vitamin that doesn’t need to be consumed in food or supplements because our bodies make it when our skin is exposed to direct sunlight. Considering that I spent most of my summer afternoons in high school and college lying by the pool with a foil-covered book to reflect the sun, I’m sure I absorbed enough of it.

But not all sun exposure is the same, and lots of different factors determine how much we absorb. These days, I tend to fear “un-screened” sun exposure, being worried more about melanoma and skin cancer. Even though we still spend time outdoors, most of us are usually slathered in SPF 30 to even SPF 100 sunscreen, making the vitamin D production in our bodies less efficient and even non-existent.

Who knew there would be a need for additional vitamin D? I took a calcium supplement and knew about vitamin D's role in helping the body absorb calcium in order to maintain bone density to prevent osteoporosis. But new research suggests it also helps protect against chronic diseases such as cancer, type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, obesity, depression, and autoimmune diseases. Recent studies have also shown that when vitamin D levels drop, we’re more prone to colds and flus!

Vitamin D is the only vitamin that is also a hormone. After vitamin D is made by the skin or eaten, the kidney and liver help to convert it into an active hormone form. As a hormone, it controls calcium absorption to help the body build strong bones and teeth, and it helps maintain muscle strength. After spending all that time working out, you don’t want your strength zapped by vitamin loss.
And when you’re deficient in calcium and vitamin D, your bones can end up breaking down in order to supply enough calcium to the rest of your body. It can also take a toll on more than just your skeleton, causing muscle pain, fatigue and throwing you off emotionally.

Usually, a diet that includes fortified milk and dairy products, fortified orange juice, liver, eggs, and oily fish, along with as little as 10 minutes of exposure a day provides enough D. But sometimes even that isn’t enough, and testing will show if a supplement is needed.

The test, known as a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test, is used to determine if bone weakness, bone malformation, or abnormal metabolism of calcium is occurring as a result of a deficiency or excess of vitamin D. The current recommended intake of vitamin D is 200 IU (international units) for those up to age 50; 400 IU for people 51-70; and 600 IU for those older than 70. Requirements increase with age because older skin produces less vitamin D.

The test can be administered by your doctor and there are home tests available as well.

After I got the results, my doctor started me on a 50,000 IU supplement once a week for 12 weeks. I also am trying to spend about 10-15 minutes in the sun without sunscreen 2-3 days a week (my dermatologist says it’s OK!). I’m not experiencing as much muscle soreness as before and I really do have more energy. My last blood test showed improvement with the high dosage supplement bringing my Vitamin D levels up to the almost normal range.

For more information on who is at risk for this deficiency and how Vitamin D helps lessen and prevent a number of conditions, go to:
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment